August 25, 2011

Irene, Really?



I’m really torn on the entire Hurricane Irene coverage that I’ve been seeing on television and online. Ever since Los Angeles traffic officials hyped the July weekend closing of the 405 Freeway as “Carmegedon” in order to keep people off the highway, I’m having a hard time digesting all of the hurricane hype surrounding Irene and the tri-state area.

I can see it from a municipality's view: They simply do not have the budget to deal with hurricane damages as they previously did and fear is a wonder motivator to get your citizens to do what you want them to do. But once you know that governments cry “wolf” one too many times, it is hard to totally trust them.

No, I don’t want to become another accident statistic. I’m probably packing a bag tonight in case I have to spend some time away from home because of the weather. Yet, I remember other Category 1 storms hitting the region in years past and you saw people in the Hoboken bars and restaurants.

Just my $0.02.

If I am horribly horribly wrong, please make sure that my nephew gets my comic book collection.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with ya. I'm mostly worried about the flooding in town, and getting stuck in Hoboken afterward. We tend to be protected, between the Palisades and NYC.

    It's also already been downgraded. At first, it was supposed to hit NJ at 2am Sunday, as a Cat 2 (100mph winds). Now it's 2pm Sunday, as a Cat1 (85mph winds). So, who knows.

    We're on vacation, either way, and likely to take a drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and then there's the "astronomical high tide": http://hoboken.patch.com/articles/high-tide-may-worsen-flooding-in-hoboken

    ReplyDelete